We recommend the mentor dedicate a minimum of 2 hours a week to the program and activities.
- Meet with your mentee and engage in mentoring activities in-person (at a supervised location) or via zoom (or on the telephone as a backup) for a minimum of one hour each week.
- Willingly share your experience and professional success in the organization.
- Commit to a 12-month mentor-mentee relationship agreement.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and goals.
- Look for experiences that will stretch the mentee (i.e., shadowing during meetings, suggested readings, etc.).
- Stay accessible, committed, and engaged during the length of the program.
- Listen well, provide open and candid feedback.
- Offer encouragement through genuine positive reinforcement.
- Be a positive role model and share “lessons learned” from personal experiences.
- Respect a mentee individuality.
- Be a resource and a sounding board.
- Keep your conversations confidential.
- Let the Mentoring Program Manager (Dr. Angel White) know as soon as possible if you are having a problem connecting with your mentee.